THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.

Go down 
+59
Ynneadwraith
wormfromhell
still-young
stilgar27
Hellstrom
BlackCadian
Mononcule
WadoW
flakmonkey
Erebus
Tengu
DingK
The_Burning_Eye
The Shredder
Izaeus
Kir Shadowwalker
Jimsolo
melkorthetonedeaf
solar shock
SERAFF
Creeping Darkness
facelessabsalom
CheeZe
Louxman
rotforge
SebastionSynn
Tangentical
Starkey
Lay_Ayanesha
Skyfish
Jpogfreak886
NiteOwl
Normski
Nezumi
Siticus the Ancient
RazorBryce
thelordcal
kokigami
Chaeril
tlronin
Count Adhemar
Levitas
yukisaiko
Vael Galizur
jb7090
abjectus
Lazarus
Mr Believer
Local_Ork
darkmark
Tiri Rana
Raucir Lustingclaw
Plague
Saintspirit
Gobsmakked
Dr. Thodt
Thor665
Nepenthe
speedfreek
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DingK
Sybarite
DingK

Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2015, 20:09

Looks to be about the same size as the Island of Blood Rat Ogres, which are a common source for Grotesques: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/028/8/7/skaven_master_moulder_and_skaven_rat_ogres_by_lazy_rat-d5t184v.jpg

We'll know for sure by Friday anyways. But yes, I'm looking forward to building a second, different, unit of Grots.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2015, 21:04

Awesome! My wallet is itching.

I started out with Skaven in 1989, so I always take an interest in the cute, furry, guys.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2015, 21:56

Tengu wrote:
Awesome!  My wallet is itching.

I started out with Skaven in 1989, so I always take an interest in the cute, furry, guys.

Used to have a lot of the original metal Skaven when they were first released. Played the scenario from the old Citadel Journal about the Skaven attacking a monastery which was then attacked by the undead. God knows when that was!

Anyhoo, depending on price and size, I may have to consider enough of those to get 8 Grots and make my new Grotesquerie.

Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 00:47

They look to be more Talos/Chronos sized. Leaks reveal that it's one miniature for £38.50, so may want to look elsewhere for Grots.

Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 01:14

Erebus wrote:
They look to be more Talos/Chronos sized. Leaks reveal that it's one miniature for £38.50, so may want to look elsewhere for Grots.

That's the cost of a box of three of them. And they don't seem that big in this pic:
Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 RVTLcpW

(The User Formerly Known as Drago)
> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 01:23

Drago Galizur wrote:
That's the cost of a box of three of them. And they don't seem that big in this pic:
At that resolution, it looked like a 1 to me, though I suppose the 3 models on the box should have been a clue. Maybe they're more akin to the Crypt Horror/Vargheist kit then.

Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: New Skaven    Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 08:30

I only just saw these models on the cover of WB 51(which I shouldn't put a link too?), but pics are very easy to find.

These new Skaven  Stormfiends look awesome (except for that belly gun)

And considering how popular grotesques have become, I'd expect to see alot of these boys in the future, replacing the IoB rat ogres and maybe even everybodies favourite breakdancer Very Happy

Closing this thread as not really DE-related news. There is however, ongoing discussion here - Count Adhemar

I will also merge Flakmonkey's post with the other thread. Gob.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 10:19

Yeah, looks like £38.50 for 3 and I would need 3 boxes to get the 8 Grots that I need. Even with a 25% discount on GW prices from my FLGS that's still over £85! Will definitely wait to see what they look like 'in the flesh' and see if they're the right sort of scale.

Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 17:20

Count Adhemar wrote:
Only concern is possibly the scale of the models. Not sure how big they are. I suspect they might be MASSIVE.

I think they will be the same size as the existing Rat Ogres, which would be perfect, but I haven't actually seen anything concrete written about that.

OOPS - just saw Drago's pic, it hadn't materialized yet before I replied. Yes, they look like fairly regular-sized RO's.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 17:27

Yeah, it's looking pretty promising! Especially because a box of Stormfiends is cheaper than 3 Grotesques by about $12.

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
DingK
Sybarite
DingK

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 18:56

They're also more expensive than the VC Crypt Horrors, but those required quite a bit of work on the arms to help assembly. Besides, nothing wrong with a bit of variation. It's not as if every Haemie or Coven builds the exact same kind of Grotesque...
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16 2015, 23:31

They were just released and it says they have 50mm square bases. The web store doesn't say what size bases the blood island rat ogres come with, but the Crypt Horrors have 40mm bases. The Vargulf comes on a 50mm base, but I don't know how big they are.

So, looks like they might be a bit taller than the normal rat ogres, but I still don't think they look that big compared to the other Skaven in the pic I posted above.

It also looks like they all have freaky little rat monkey fetuses with giant brains in little cages on their backs. Luckily they are an accessory that could easily be left off. lol

So they look super cool, require less modding that other options, and are cheaper than normal Grots, BUT they're about 10mm too big, are a bit more expensive then Crypt Horrors, and are quite a bit more expensive than Warspears. You can get 5 warspears for $35 on ebay, but they do require quite a bit of sculpting and bits modding to look the part.

> Project Log <

Last edited by Drago Galizur on Fri Jan 16 2015, 23:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16 2015, 23:33

Drago Galizur wrote:
They were just released and it says they have 50mm square bases. The web store doesn't say what size bases the blood island rat ogres come with, but the Crypt Horrors have 40mm bases. The Vargulf comes on a 50mm base, but I don't know how big they are.

HUGE!!!

Wink
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16 2015, 23:47

Blergh

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16 2015, 23:55

Vargulf models aren't all that big - they're actually smaller than vargheists/crypt horrors, but use a larger base because of what they represent.

Stormfiends, on the other hand, actually look like they belong on the 50mm.

Kabalite Warrior
Izaeus

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17 2015, 00:03

Any one think of using the boneripper guy for a uber grotesque? (If its the right size im thinking a stand in for a talos) Im not sure of the exact size but the base looks like it would be monstrous creature sized.
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17 2015, 00:04

OKAY! Did some calculating using the size of the bases to make a ratio to figure out the actual heights of the minis. Grots are 56mm tall and Stormfiends are 60mm tall. So, not that big of a difference at all.

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17 2015, 00:14

On my screen, the bases are both 75mm in the photos and we know their actual sizes. The photo of the Grot is 105mm tall and the photo of the Stormfiend is 90mm. That way we can calculate the actual sizes of the minis and compare them, thanks to my handy dandy vernier caliper and wife who is good with numbers. lol

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31 2015, 16:44

I think we can rule out Stormfiends as Grot alternatives:

Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 10351955_1453673998221339_1406423121016229156_n

Image courtesy of @Hero on Carpe Noctem forums.

Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31 2015, 16:45

What about as Talos alternatives? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31 2015, 17:27

Ah, crap.

How far off were my measurement calculations?

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09 2015, 01:29

Rackham miniatures are finally BACK! Cadwallon.com has them and at reasonable prices, unlike Cool mini or not.
Of particular interest to us are the Alchemists of Dirz. I've been wanting to use some of them as Grotesques, particularly the Keratis Warriors, but I'm not sure about their size.
Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 Keratis-warriors

I have several Dirz minis, including the Aberration and the Nefarious Clone, but they're both more Talos size. The only reference pic I can find for the Keratis Warriors is this pic of the first version of them next to a Space Marine. What do you guys think, is that big enough?

Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 62hvBPf

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
WadoW
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16 2015, 13:27

At the request of Count Adhemar I move here my post DE Beasts: only in failcasts & ungly. ¿Alternatives?. Sorry for my mistake.
-------

Hi all!

I've a problem, GW DE Beasts miniatures are only available in failcast and are terribly uglies (i.e.: Razorwings).

I'm looking for alternatives to failcast for Witch Cult Beasts miniatures.

I've found Zombicide - Murder of Crowz like a nice option for Razorwing Flocks:

Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 Zombic11

Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 Crows10

The box will contain 15 miniatures for less than 25€

¿What do you think about this option?
¿And do you know alternatives for Khymeraes and Clawed Fiends?

I was reviewing Fantasy models:

I guess that Chaos Warhounds with perhaps Hormagaunts bits can be an option for Khymeraes.

Nothing visually decent for Razorwing Flocks.

And for Clawed Fiends... Do you know something similar in size? Minotaurs? Any Tyranid model? I'm thinking in a Tyranid creature with any kind of Haemonculi system to avoid his control or connection to the Hive Mind (drugs, electroshock, surgical removal of synaptic receptors...).

In addition the new Spirit Hosts models could be nice for some kind of conversion.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WadoW on Mon Feb 16 2015, 15:01; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16 2015, 14:34

WadoW - if you take a look back through this thread there are a number of suggestions for alternative beasts. Hope you find some you like.

Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16 2015, 14:46

Those crows are great!

I use Tigers of Dirz for my Khymerae.
Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 28697_md-Confrontation,%20Dirz,%20Rackham
http://www.cadwallon.com/rackham-confrontation/alchemists-dirz/tiger-of-dirz-1.html
http://www.cadwallon.com/rackham-confrontation/alchemists-dirz/tiger-of-dirz-2.html
http://www.cadwallon.com/rackham-confrontation/alchemists-dirz/tiger-of-dirz-3.html

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.   Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models. - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alternative sources for Dark Eldar models.
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next